Seven Steps to Burnout prevention
Renew Your Life
It is said that it is our birthright to live a life filled with joy and happiness. Yet, in our day-to-day life, stress and hectic often dominate us and we have to be creative to ensure a healthy balance.
How can we assure that all parts of our being are nurtured: our body, mind and soul? How can we happily strive for fulfillment and success in our work, live a joyful and fulfilled relationship and family life and make enough space just for our self? Life is a journey as we all know and we have to overcome challenges and difficult situations. Unfortunately, there is the human tendency to do too much, to spend more time fixing the outer issues then taking care of us. The good news is that we have the chance to re-discover the greatness and beauty of our life again and again.
How do we prevent ourselves from burning away our precious time? The first step is to watch out for the symptoms of an emerging burnout, both physical and emotional:
- Feeling tired and drained most of the time
- weak immune system, feeling sick a lot
- Frequent headaches, back pain, muscle aches
Change in appetite or sleep habits
Emotional signs and symptoms of burnout:
- Sense of failure and self-doubt
- Feeling helpless, trapped, and defeated
- Detachment, feeling alone in the world
- Loss of motivation
- Increasingly cynical and negative outlook
- Decreased satisfaction and sense of accomplishment
7 Tips for Burnout Prevention:
1. Think well of yourself. Acknowledge the good things you do every day in your life. Do not look for the big things but recognize your kindness, your willingness and your good will in every step you take. Be kind to yourself.
2. Start the day with a relaxing ritual. Rather than jumping out of bed and going right into action, spend at least fifteen minutes meditating, writing in your journal, doing gentle stretches, or reading something that inspires you.
3. Adopt healthy eating, exercising, and sleeping habits. When you eat right, engage in regular physical activity, and get plenty of rest, you have the energy and resilience to deal with life’s hassles and demands.
4. Set boundaries. Don’t overextend yourself. Learn how to say “no” to requests on your time. If you find this difficult, remind yourself that saying “no” allows you to say “yes” to the things that you truly want to do.
5. Take a daily break from technology. Set a time each day when you completely disconnect. Put away your laptop, turn off your phone, and stop checking email.
6. Nourish your creative side. Creativity is a powerful antidote to burnout. Try something new, start a fun project, or resume a favourite hobby. Choose activities that have nothing to do with work.
7. Learn how to manage stress. For instance, when you feel under pressure become aware of your thinking patterns. Why do you put yourself under pressure? Is there something you might be able to let go? Learning how to manage stress can help you regain your balance.
Travel is SWELL Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-963-8986 or 1-559-207-0545